Project Kharlan- Main Design Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In the name of god, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Main Idea Thread

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
WhiteboyNinja
Animations

Main Idea Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 11:32 am

I like the idea of "easy to unlock but hard to perfect". I think we should do that with all the combat styles, so that the more you use each style, the greater their bonuses are, and the less their penalties

Wouldn't a religion based special stance for a specific weapon lead to players merely picking their religion based on what weapon they plan to use? I think a single special stance would work, but let it be for all weapons.

This can actually make sense. For example: Water is all about movement, and constant change. Well, that religion can lead to a form where the player is more defensive, parrying and flowing around an enemy's attack for increased defensive capability.

This can work for basically any weapon, because it emphasizes a method of movement in reaction to your opponent, not a particular way to swing a specific weapon.
Back to top Go down
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 12:32 pm

If we make a special stance easy to unlock but hard to perfect:

In addition to penalties (which I take will be like, recovery from swings, etc), limited consistency. Til later, at least.
Back to top Go down
Nash
Ideas/Engine (Admin)
Nash

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 12:36 pm

Chris i like what your saying. the only possible down side would be having to make an animation for all the weapons based of that stance but i don't think it would be to hard.
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 4:29 pm

Sounds good. But isn't whiteboyninja ryan?
Back to top Go down
http://kharlan.heavenforum.com
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 4:47 pm

Yeah, thats Ryan...lol
Back to top Go down
WhiteboyNinja
Animations

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 5:22 pm

Indeed I am. But can we SiS stances? Or do we have to wait for a meeting to do that?

Also, how is combat done? Auto-attack? Third Person Oblivion style?

Will each weapon have an alt-attack? If so, that opens up missiles to throwing weapons, not just bows. You could stab with kunai, for example, then alt-attack for an accurate, short distance throw.
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Stances are SiSd now.

Uhm. Thats a good point alt. attacks would be nice...im not working with coding so i wouldn't know...
Back to top Go down
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 6:59 pm

... Neutral

What's SiS?
Back to top Go down
WhiteboyNinja
Animations

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 7:43 pm

Alt-attacks are not difficult coding wise. It just means dedicating another button to perform another function. I was asking if, conceptually, that is something we will be including.

But before we delve into alt-attacks, lets put stances to bed. This is what I would like to be SiS:

Each stance can be leveled multiple times, increasing conferred bonuses, minimizing conferred penalities. Even at mastery level, penalties are not negated, and bonuses are not overpowering.

There will be four stances available to the player: Neutral, Defensive, Aggressive, and an Ancient Art.

The three basic stances would affect combat as follows:

Neutral: Simple, easily mastered form. Simplicity is strength, so there are no penalties. Utilizing old standbys can be effective in a pinch, so it confers a small defensive bonus when outnumbered or outclassed (Opponent is say, 10 levels higher);

Defensive: By keeping his weapon close to his body, the user is prepared to defend against any blow. The short strikes required to keep the weapon close weakens attack power. Increased dexterity allows for more sucessful parries;

Aggressive: An unrelenting assault batters at the opponent with increased strength. These powerful blows are delivered at the cost of dexterity and attack speed;

The Ancient Arts are the martial skills developed and guarded by the followers of each religion. They are:

Water: Motion and flow are emphasized as a means of defending against assailants. Parries are more successful, and movement speed quickens as the user seems to simply flow around attacks. This defensive posture leaves a major hole in offensive capability;

Wind: Motion is also emphasized in this form, not as a means of defense, but attack. Movement and attack speed is greatly enhanced, as with dexterity. Defense is not a focus, and is weakened by constant motion. The form is powerless without room to move, and so attack and defense both are severely hindered when outnumbered;

Earth: This combat technique is as rock solid as the earth beneath the user's feet. The combatant places his feet firmly on the ground, refusing to give an inch. Movement and attack speed are gratuitously slowed. Powerful, earth-rending strikes are delivered with no dexterity decrease. Earth worshippers are as difficult to injure as a mountain boulder, thanks to impervious static defense;

Fire: Like a raging wildfire, users strike hard at frightening speeds. The emphasis on offense leaves little defensive capability to speak of. Dexterity is dealt a blow, leading to less accurate attacks.

Each form will have a similar effect for all weapons, but in the end the stats would not be the same. (I.E-A knife fighter using the Fire stance would be faster and more accurate than a swordsman using the same style, but the swordsman would have drastically more powerful blows)

Also, Steven: SiS is Set in Stone.
Back to top Go down
Nash
Ideas/Engine (Admin)
Nash

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 4:01 pm

question did we jip lighting? i am cool with that just it all the sudden disapeard(sp and fire fox doesn't know how to spell it) me thinks unless i missed something. but i like what you have said ryan O.O every one else?
Back to top Go down
WhiteboyNinja
Animations

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 4:30 pm

I apologise if I've missed it. The SiS thread says four gods, and I thought those four elements were the essential ones. Besides, couldn't wind potentially control the element of Lightning?

If it is included, however, I think it would be a cross between Fire and Wind. A user may attack lightning fast, with increased strength and attack speeds. Though, like a lightning bolt, blows are rarely accurate, so dexterity drops sharply. Defense and movement speed would also drop to practically nothing. So unlike Fire stylists, which batters at an opponent until it falls, the practioner of this stance places faith in one wild, powerful attack. If that attack fails, they are defenseless.
Back to top Go down
Nash
Ideas/Engine (Admin)
Nash

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 5:07 pm

earlier when i was talking abotu them lighting was a classes really based around magic. so as to make it diffrent then the others and because none of the other ones really filled that spot.
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 5:54 pm

nice description ryan. you earn an A+ Smile

nah there are most definately five.

water, earth, wind, fire, thunder (lightening)

Im pretty sure im going to use your post as the definition of each art. So you earn a STICKER! lol!

EDIT: Your description has been SiSd as the best way of defining each stance. I think its nearly flawless, if any disagree...state your reasoning below.
Back to top Go down
Nash
Ideas/Engine (Admin)
Nash

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 6:23 pm

idk i would like to see lighting to be diffrent. i only say that because we have 2 defensive (earth,water) two offensive (air,fire) so having thunder be diffrent maby its in the middle not as much attack as the offensive and not as much defensive as the defensive but enough to be a good hybrid.
Back to top Go down
WhiteboyNinja
Animations

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 6:37 pm

I tried to define the styles based on how the element behaves. That is how lightning behaves- a single all-powerful attack followed by retreat.

And stances aren't even touching magic, are they? They are a way of standing and fighting, not casting spells. We could have magic-related bonuses as well.

I see the Thunder form as a good fit. You have a powerful offensive magic user, and if an enemy gets within strike range, you land a blow powerful enough to kill or stun the opponent, then quickly retreat out of range for more lightning-slinging fun.
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 6:54 pm

Magic wise i think it should be like this:

Air: Good Buffs
Water: Healing, mana regen spells
Earth: Powerful Missile style spells
Fire: AOE spells (area of effect)
Thunder: Really fast, yet weak, missile spells

of course there would be a healing spell in air, a buff spell in fire, etc. but that would be their specialty.
Back to top Go down
WhiteboyNinja
Animations

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 6:56 pm

Well, I think that fits each faction well. And there, Nathaniel, Thunder has its emphasis on offensive magic. I think the stance would complement that.
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 6:58 pm

A mage with a powerful staff melee thats good at range? UBER!

I see offensive magic as being useless against the water and air people though as their mages just buff n' heal em.
Back to top Go down
WhiteboyNinja
Animations

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 7:10 pm

Well, if Earth has powerful missile spells, they could just focus on the mages until they drop, while a perimeter of warriors protects them. So there seems to be a pretty decent balance set up already. We just need to ensure we focus on that with the other aspects of the factions.
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Yeah. We just need to make sure that with each spell, it can drop a person before a mage can FULLY heal them. so that you can still damage people.

I do like the idea of magicks based upon the element you worship, itll make it much more diverse.
Back to top Go down
Nash
Ideas/Engine (Admin)
Nash

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 8:08 pm

hokay its cool with me now.

one ian check you messages

two how do we want to do magic. can it be easily learned like in other games or do we want it to be somethings you have to do a quest like thing for each spell as to gain it from your god so as Steven was saying its more like uh i forgot his word but its doing something with your god and not magic.
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 8:47 pm

Quests. It puts a lot more depth into the game, not only that, but it yields useful rewards.
Think about it, you spend ingame money all the time, but you use good spells over and over.

Well, there should be about 2-3 basic spells per religion, the rest should be gained through quests.
Back to top Go down
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 5:47 pm

I think I said that it'd have to be 'divine favors' ....or something along those lines.
Back to top Go down
WhiteboyNinja
Animations

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 6:24 pm

Gain favor with your god, increase your standing in your religion, earn the right to learn higher magick, or be blessed with new spells. Better than just earning gold.
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 10:25 pm

Deffinately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Main Idea Thread   Main Idea Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Main Idea Thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Project Kharlan- Main Design Team :: Religious Game :: Idea Center-
Jump to: