Project Kharlan- Main Design Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In the name of god, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Money Making

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Money Making   Money Making EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Alright, so theres been a lotta talk about this subject. Once we get the game done...how wes gonnas makes teh moneyz?

Possible ways (one or a combination):

1) Get a pay for download system going.

2) Pay for a subscription. (Access the game entirely or bonus areas)

3) Item Shop. (Buy in game items for real cash)

4) Sell the game on a CD? (Very questionable as this gets a publisher involved like EA or Ubisoft)(Nathaniel says no)

-Ian
Back to top Go down
http://kharlan.heavenforum.com
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 4:31 pm

- Way off. Good to be thinking about it, but lets not focus here. However, I'll provide what I think will be best.

Answers to each item, numbered respectively:

1)Free download.

2)Optional subscription (f2p, with a slightly lesser leveling rate after a certain level. One subscription rate that gives a 'normal' rate of leveling, etc. A 'premium' subscription rate that gives bonus features, maybe a slight increase in leveling rates, etc, maybe...slightly better interface[things like that])

3)Optional item shop, ITEM SKINS ONLY. Maybe pets, that are there for aesthetic purposes. Mount skins, possibly. Item shop will not require a subscription of any sort. Shoutouts...things like that, methinks

4)CD/Hardcopy of some sort; I don't support it. It'd be too hard to do, and expensive. None of us have the experience to handle it yet, and none of us will for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 4:35 pm

id agree with you except for #3 if you want a decent profit youd do more than Item Skins because not enough people would buy, like armors and weapons could be added. though all would be obtainable through the game, just an easier route to them Smile

i know its early to be talking about this, but we need to clear areas of interest.
Back to top Go down
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Maplestory makes its money solely from item skins. Having existed for only 3 years+ it hit a 1 million player mark last year (sometime in winter, i think).
It is multi-national and that 1million player mark is just in the USA.

Item skins should be given a time limit if implemented. The easier route to the armors/weapons should not be added if merely obtainable through the game, as it would give people a large advantage over others, especially if you could buy in bulk. Also, I imagine that such items would not be able to sell for very much (not much over a couple dollars, which is already expensive for just 1 in game item that would be otherwise obtainable). Other disadvantages exist, but...believe me.

item skins make huge amounts of money, if implemented correctly.

Hm, that wasnt just the only thing i suggested either.

Pets: actual pet/pet skin(for pets already in game). Optional pet accessory that allows it to pick up items. Optional pet accessory that allows it to pick up cash. Optional asthetic pet accessories.

That alone would be very money making.

All these 'premium' items that are no more than conveniences do not ruin game balance and increase player appreciation A LOT. And item skins arent limited to just things from the time period in which the game takes place, you know...for all I care, we can make a lightsaber skin for 1 handed swords/2 handed swords. Gangsta outfits, ninja outfits....everything. Different types of clothing, etc.

And for most, we'd probably have it so these items would only work for you for 3 months, then you'd have to renew them at a lesser cost (small discounts for renewing more items at once).

Things like that....heh....I'm relentless when it comes to thinking of money-making methods Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 5:56 pm

Lol. But with the Premium Items we aren't removing any restrictions on them so its not like "Yay im in a new game! I can just buy the best sword and go at it!" plus not everything will be buyable. Not to mention we will make them 'spensive.

I do like the item skins, but it won't bring in enough cash until we get some truely devoted players, so until then we should offer either partial subscriptions or premium items.
Back to top Go down
ANinjaSquirrle
Ideas/Engine (Admin)
ANinjaSquirrle

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 6:02 pm

well, u guys didn't play LC and they gave out EXP redution pots, so when u died u lost less exp, animal specials so ur animals could be dyed orange or blue or pink, weapon skins, item finders, special stones so you could upgrade your weapon with out chance of failure and so on, so yes

OWND MOFOS!
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 6:04 pm

fail. i played LC

i know all this, but we are thinking basics now. Lets not get really ahead of ourselves.
Back to top Go down
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 8:08 pm

You dont need truely devoted players to make money, you know.

Ian, you don't get it.

I would like to have both multiple optional subscription rates (premium, non-premium) and 'premium' items available (preferably convenience only, eg. skins, exp loss reduction, etc, to prevent gamers complaining about inbalance and unfairness due to older more wealthy and of-age players being able to buy weapons that gave substantial bonuses, etc.).

Why not both? Why only 'either'. You are being far too limited in how you approach possible ways to make money. By making both optional, and allowing players to play just normally, for free, is an incentive itself. Peer pressure, as well as gaming pressures will serve as incentive, and what if you dont want to have a subscription, but you like to give youself..say, a suede jacket, and an overall 80s look. Why not? It also provides prizes for in-game events, etc. Remember, you are providing incentive for the players. Dedicated or not, the more benefits they can see from playing, the more likely they will stay playing.
Back to top Go down
Nash
Ideas/Engine (Admin)
Nash

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 8:16 pm

i am against out time skins..thats my 2 cents..it just makes the game stupid some times...
Back to top Go down
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 9:01 pm

You arent the one buying these skins, Nate. If we intend to have skins at all, we need to have time limits, at least, on the ones that are for clothes. Maybe skins for tattoos, hair-doos, etc, wont be timed. Maybe pets are time-less.

As for making the game stupid, be a little less vague.

Timed skins = more moneys.

Also, having timed skins is reasonable in terms of making money. If we have non-timed skins, users may choose to content themselves with 1 set, perhaps making purchases later on for things they find interesting.

However, we have money concerns, and are aiming to profit. And, renewing skins at a lesser price (with discount for multiple renewals at once) dampens down on whatever lack of incentive derives from having 'time-outs' at all.

It also makes people consider between having subscription (a type of their choice) and time-out skins (some of which are permanent), or choosing a combination of the two. Sure, time-out skins may be a turn-off for you because you have to pay eventually to get them back. But hey, we're trying to make money here, and we've put a mess-load of effort into this game.

Lets try to get our money's worth here, no?

Also for premium items: extra item slots.
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 9:06 pm

hmm im not saying not both. sean was critizing my knowledge of LC Razz

i dont mind skins, and im all for subscriptions...thats where the money is really at.

but what im saying is why not premium items?

and yes, there is a great profit to be made in devoted players, as in players that will buy more than one item and keep coming back to the shop. Thats what im talking about when i say "devoted".
Back to top Go down
Nash
Ideas/Engine (Admin)
Nash

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 9:35 pm

i meant out a time skins....uh light sabers wtf
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 9:39 pm

Oh. That makes more sense.
Back to top Go down
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Ok, thought you meant devoted as in 'MUST GRIND UNTIL EYES MELT GRRRR!1111'.

Why not lightsabers as skins?

Ok. Fine. Premium items I'll live with. Just as long as they dont double someone's HP or anything like that. I keep having nightmares about private WoW servers i've tryed where a person could have ....upwards of 20k hp as a FRIGGIN' MAGE.
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 10:44 pm

Lol. Why not? Because its way out of setting.

No im talking about like:

-Sets of Armor
-Rare Weapons (not uber, just rare)
-Arrows (no one likes gathering these)
-Regular Materials (metals, woods, etc)
-Amulet that prevents you from losing XP when you die

Stuff like that for an item shop. No uber "OZMGZ Y0UR XPs AR3 TRIPL3D" type things.
Back to top Go down
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:17 pm

KK. I officially shall live with them prem items.

But, I still cast my vote for 'out of time' skins. Trust me...things become entertaining...and its already done in at least 1 game (which makes its money entirely off 'out of time' skins.)

Besides, if the players think it's cool...then thats all of a reason we need =.=. But, if you guys really doubt it, then I say we go for only multiple optional subscription methods at first.

meow! cat
Back to top Go down
Nash
Ideas/Engine (Admin)
Nash

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 7:08 pm

i have nothing against skins ranging from just plane strange shaped swords to swords filled with an element just idk i think it would get rid of some of the seriousness of the game and well its very childish to do out of time out rages skins. good for some games but not all.
Back to top Go down
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 7:48 pm

Well..upon rethinking a few things, maybe a light-saber would be a bit too outlandish.

Simply cooler-looking skins; I can deal with that.
Back to top Go down
ANinjaSquirrle
Ideas/Engine (Admin)
ANinjaSquirrle

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 8:13 pm

Okay, im not putting input unless its in person cuz im fucking tired of reading all your posts its redunculus. ANYWAY, I think i'll be the head of this department since you guys cant seem to agree on much, im gonna be the 3rd party and make a mesh of w/e u guys want. So far its worked cuz im amazing. I want to discuss this whole god thing too, its just like the whole thing is about them when it shouldn't be. but yeah, we should have multiple ways of doing extras. We could do premium items which are maps. You buy the extra maps to play on and they are unlimited, sounds like something no1 has ever done and it sounds like a good idea to me. (along with skins, items, stones, pets, etc. AND PETS ARE FOREVER! NO TIMES ON PETS DANG IT!)
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 8:27 pm

Sean, its not that we can't agree. Naturally anything involving the actual business is going to take time to resolve.

Next: The game isn't all about the gods, it will be about the player. But the gods are the leaders of the factions...so we have to get those figured out before we start on the player's role.
Back to top Go down
Nash
Ideas/Engine (Admin)
Nash

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:50 pm

yeah were just starting with the gods because they are the base of they story we are trying to get them hammered out then working down. its like a power tree we are starting at the most powerful and building down while just spitting out ideas as we get there for more of a note when we are there. understand(may not be plausible Suspect but im just confusing like that)
Back to top Go down
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 4:15 pm

Also: Sean, as a slight warning to you. Naturally, you are granted authority over whatever you have been assigned; we've dished out jobs to people based on our abilities, and we'll grant trust to our fellow members to do their jobs. But, whilst I'm not contesting your authority over [blank] I would like to let you know that some people may not appreciate hearing you simply say 'I'm the head since you guys are making horrible efforts.'

It shows lack of appreciation for what is going on, and on top of that, as Ian said, it's a business. Things take time and compromise.

So in short, just try to be careful with how you word things. Not that WE necessarily mind, since we know we're all learning ourselves...but yeah.

Edit: I agree. No times on pets. That...thats annoying. I suppose we'll make pet accessories permanent?
Back to top Go down
WhiteboyNinja
Animations

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 9:05 pm

Dear Sean:
It is simple. Read the most recent page of posts, and comment on what the current conversation is. The other pages are generally irrelevant, because we have moved on.
Sincerely,
Ryan

Now that that's out of the way, I'm trusting the money end to you guys. I'm currently not in this for the money, but the experience. Once we're up and running, they I'll worry about my pay.
Back to top Go down
ifiwasafishie
Advisor/Manager

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 10:51 am

Methinks thats all the discussion we need, we're moving too specific at the moment. And we have the ability to implement them, eventually, if we choose.

So, lets all just post what we want?
Back to top Go down
Echo t3h Admin
Storyline (Admin)

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 11:14 am

Topic Closed. Discussion is really over. May add to the SiS some stuff from this thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Money Making Empty
PostSubject: Re: Money Making   Money Making Empty

Back to top Go down

Money Making
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Project Kharlan- Main Design Team :: Religious Game :: Idea Center-
Jump to: